About Razia Myers
Razia Myers is a Visual Artist and Sculptor born in Johannesburg. She relocated to Cape Town in 2003 .
Her career started out in the Information Technology Sector as Head of Intermediary Document Systems as a SAP consultant and later Change Management consultant. Searching for Purpose and a deeper relationship with God she felt the need to be able to creatively express herself.
At the end of 2015 she began to realise her purpose and studied under the tutelage of Paul Birchall an Art Teacher at Ruth Prowse School of Art and later on with Jill Trappler who compares Art to a composition of musical notes. She quickly began moving her brush strokes from specific, figurative works to more general and expressive works. Her expression she says is rooted in her spiritual connection with God.
In 2016 she was awarded a Masterclass and Arts Residency Scholarship at the Jerusalem School of Arts in Italy. An intensive studio program for the highly motivated and gifted student under the tutelage of Israel Hershberg. She has recently included Sculpture and Photography into her Art Practice. Myers has participated in numerous group exhibitions as well as Solo exhibitions nationally.
Much of her inspiration she finds in nature and in design. She enjoys Collaborating with fashion Designers who always seem to have their finger on the pulse. She loves foraging elements and clues from nature and then switching it up with trendy elements and design found in Home Décor and High End Fashion magazines. Her colourful and vibrant works are done mostly on large scale as she feels she is able to better express factors such as balance , colour, movement, design, shape and visual weight. Of her small works she prefers to work from general to specific as she believes more intricate details are found in her smaller works. Her Sculpture pieces are mostly influenced by nature and the relationship with man and God.
This past year I took on a very special project as Mentor and started working with disadvantaged children from the Home from Home organisation. Assigned a group of 5 children in Ocean View has been an incredibly insightful and enriching experience. I have personally seen how Art transcends and lifts the children’s spirits. I am always looking at ways to make our time more fun and interactive, so we play games and music in between drawing and painting. As a group we drew our inspiration from the Ocean and our natural surroundings.
- The Garden Show – Swains Yard Studios – May 2015
- Lisa King Gallery – Greenpoint July- August 2015
- Solo Exhibition at the V & A Waterfront Watershed – September 2015
- Group Exhibition – Artsauce Fine Art Materials – December 2015
- Solo Exhibition- Women of Worth event 15 On Orange – February 2016
- Solo Exhibition at Alliance Française du Cap – March 2016
- Group Exhibition of Swains Yard Studios at Alliance Française du Cap – May 2016
- Masterclass and Arts Residency 6 weeks at the Jerusalem School of Arts in Italy July – August 2016
- Mentorship and Teaching program for Home From Home Foster Children ongoing June 2020 Ongoing
- Group exhibition African Super Studios – December 2020
- Group Exhibition Jaffer Modern Gallery – December 2020 – February 2021
- Group Saloon Exhibition Orange Art Group Spin Street Gallery – February 2021
- Group Exhibition with Home from Home organisation Spin Street Gallery – February 2021
- Group Exhibition Jaffer Modern Gallery April – May 2021
- Group Exhibition June – July 2021
- Solo Exhibition 02 December -14 December 2021
For further information please contact
Website : www.raziamyersart.co.za
Email: [email protected]
Instagram : raziamyers_art
“The true sign of Intelligence is not Knowledge but Imagination”, Albert Einstein